Friday, November 14, 2008

Alabama

I'm kicking off the 50 State Strategy... I'm going to give every state it's own post, even the lame ones (I'm looking at YOU North Dakota)...


I'm not going to post one a day. Some days I may post a few, other days I may post other stuff, but sometime between now and the end of the Obama administration (Damn that sounds nice) I will have finished off all 50 states... Really... Or not... If not, ask for a refund, I dare ya...




Without further adieu, State No. 1, Alabama...

Surprisingly little has changed since 1895...

Since every state is going to get it's own post, we might as well give each state a little attention from a non-musical point of view. Maybe it can help us better understand the artists from these locales, and why they make the music that they do... Maybe it will help us understand why many artist adopt new home states before making it big... Or maybe it will simply help US appreciate OUR states better by comparison...




Alabama is a state I was never required to do a class project on, nor a state I have ever desired to visit, so all I know of Alabama, I will discover right effing now, through the power of Wikipedia...



- The state flag of Alabama is white with a red X in the middle... That is somehow fitting of my perception of Alabama... A warning perhaps??



Abandon hope, all y'all who enter hence n' whatnot...

- Alabama is bordered by Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, and the Gulf of Mexico. It's hard to decide who I feel worse for in this situation... I think I'd say the gulf...

- The capital of Alabama is Montgomery. I did not require Wikipedia to tell me that. Just thought you should all know that... I KNOW my capitals...

- I did not know that... I thought it was Birmingham...

- Alabama has all sorts of history. Trust me on that. If you want to know more, use your Internet connection for something other than surfing lame blogs...

- A fact that may lend some understanding to the music scene in Alabama is the population demographics. Residents who describe themselves as 'white' make up 73% of the population, while residents identifying themselves as 'black' make up 26% of the population. Some quick math tells us that's not going to leave room for a whole lot of 'other', which tends to mean the state will be dominated historically by Country and Blues respectively.

- Alabama's musical history is dominated by Country and Blues...

- Helpful Hint: State sales tax in Alabama is only 4%. If you're planning on buying something expensive from a retailer, buy it in Alabama... May I suggest the Ionic Breeze 3.0, because no one wants stagnant ions...

- Famous Alabamians include: Hank Aaron, Tallulah Bankhead, Charles Barkley, Hugo L. Black, George Washington Carver, Nat King Cole, Courteney Cox Arquette, Mitch Holleman, Zelda Fitzgerald, William C. Handy, Bo Jackson, Helen Keller (Image at right, in Patty Duke form...), Coretta Scott King, Harper Lee, Joe Louis, Willie Mays, John Hunt Morgan, Jim Nabors, Jesse Owens, Rosa Parks, Satchel Paige, Condoleezza Rice, Bart Starr, George Wallace, Ruben Studdard, Booker T. Washington, Billy Williams and Hank Williams.

Now for my selections:

Solo Artist: Wilson Pickett

Land of 1,000 Dances, Mustang Sally, and In The Midnight Hour. There's something to be said for quality over quantity, and while Wilson Pickett did amass a catalog of 23 albums before his death from a heart attack in 2006, he never managed success in his later career to match his meteoric mid 60's rise to fame. Never the less, he sang three iconic R&B/Rock crossover hits, and was credited with co-writing on Midnight Hour.


While his later career was not filled with chart success, he earned his chops as a songwriter, collaborating with artists as varied as Led Zepplin, The Grateful Dead, Booker T. and the MG's, Ani DiFranco, Echo & The Bunnymen, Hootie & the Blowfish, and Roxy Music. Pickett was an artist who truly touched all corners of pop music.

Band: Alabama

Alabama's official band photographer: Glamour Shots

If you are from a state known partially for it's country music roots, and you are a country band who names itself after said state, you have an excellent shot at representing that state on this list. Hence, Alabama.

Before you go knocking Alabama as a conveniently named choice and nothing more, consider that they were the most successful country act of the 1980's... YEAH... Not so sure about knocking the 'bama anymore are ya?

Much like Wilson Pickett (in this way and no other) Alabama's success was due in large part to their ability to cross over from their 'main' genre of Country seamlessly into Rock & Roll. Their crossover chart hits included Love in the First Degree, Tennessee River, Mountain Music, and When We Make Love.

Honestly, the idea that the boys of Alabama want me to picture them 'makin' love' is almost disturbing enough to drop them off the list all together, but the state isn't known for it's bands... I guess I could have gone with The Commodores, but Lionel Richie creeps me out... I'm always afraid I'm going to come home to find him stuck to my ceiling...

GET OUT OF MY DREAMS LIONEL!!!

And get into my car...

Looking to set the record for most L2D references in straight blog posts... Two might already do it...



Honorable Mention: Percy Sledge



Percy Sledge started his career with his one and only #1 hit, When a Man Loves a Woman. From such great heights, Percy never returned to the summit of Pop stardom, but he did have to listen to his one and only #1 hit butchered by Michael Bolton, so for that, he deserves an honorable mention spot.

Fun fact about Percy, Republican strategist Lee Atwater played backup guitar for Percy through most of the 1960's. For those of us who have become increasingly convinced over the last few years that Republicans have no soul, Mr. Atwater proves that they can at least play backup to those who do...

FUNK OVERBITE... ENGAGE!!!!



Fun non-fact about Percy Sledge, The Sledge Sisters of Sister Sledge are not, in fact his sisters, or related in any known way. They are NOT, in fact, Family...


Next time: Find out how I solve a problem like Alaska...

No comments: